MUSHROOM-BACON PATE – PARTY PATE WITHOUT LIVER
2 lbs fresh mushrooms, chopped very fine
1/2 lb bacon (or more, to taste)
2/3 cup onion, chopped very fine
2/3 cup celery, chopped very fine
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup parsley, chopped very fine
2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
(1) Fry the bacon and crumble it as fine as possible.
Reserve some of the grease.
(2) Chop the mushrooms, onion, celery, and parsley as
fine as possible. A food processor works best,
but you can do it by hand if need be.
(3) Saute the onion and celery in the bacon grease
until soft, then remove from the grease, and
(4) Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese slightly, and
then beat in the eggs. Add all other ingredients
to the eggs/cheese mixture. Mix thoroughly.
(5) Grease a large loaf pan or two small, line with
foil, and then grease the foil. Pat the mixture
into the loaf pan and cover loosely with foil.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 400 deg. F.
(6) Let cool completely before serving.
This pate is actually best when refrigerated before serving.
Serve with crackers, or with bread cut into shapes with
To make this a more elegant buffet dish, garnish the top
with a thin layer of aspic.