trota piccante – 8 servings
2 pounds whole trout, gutted
3 t flour
1 c olive oil
2 med. onions, peeled and chopped
8 med. cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 med. jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 med. bunches cilantro, washed, dried and chopped
2 t hot red pepper flakes
1 t salt
2 1/2 lemons, juiced
1/4 c pine nuts, toasted
1. remove head, tail and fins from the trout and discard. wash with
water and rub over all surfaces with a cut lemon. (or save the lemon peels
after juicing and use those.) pat dry with paper towels and dredge in flour.
2. in a very large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until
very hot. fry the trout 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until done. remove
from the pan and cool on paper towels. reserve the oil.
3. remove the skin and bones from the trout and crumble into small
pieces. set aside.
4. strain the oil into another saute pan and cook the onions until
translucent. add the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, coriander and hot pepper
flakes. cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
5. stir in the pine nuts. transfer to a bowl and chill. serve cold
as an appetizer.